It's funny how some places arouse emotions like crazy. I went to camp last night, which always does that to me. I was there for 10 years. I became myself there. And I have continued to grow since then. I said hellos and goodbyes, and as I was waiting to deliver brownies, I sat on the beach volleyball court in the empty ballfield. The combination of an indigo sky, cricket chirps and somewhat distant familiarity calmed my heart, and I sat, humming a hymn. God has done so much in me. Even though things are different for me now, I look back on working at camp-- and images remain fresh in my mind, and I think of late nights on the porch, staff meetings, and loving those kids. Loving them because God, my wonderful God, was spilling His love over on me.

I'm different than I was that last summer. God has broadened my world and softly coaxed me away from that home-- that beautiful, sacred place where my heart has found rest for so many years. I stood in the middle of the camp road, dust and gravel under my feet, and watched the entire camp gather around the basketball court for fireworks. Fireworks started to go off, and boy counselors started singing patriotic songs in big, silly voices while children cheered, silhouetted by sparks and flashes of green and white light. I cried a good cry--for the first time in a while--as I turned around and walked into the dark to my car. And as I sobbed softly, I felt a familiar peace flood over me.

Some things are so hard to let go of.

With love and watermelon,
Megan

1 Comment

  1. Emerly Sue on July 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM

    Good cries are okay.