I'm listening to Carole King this morning. It's funny that I'm just now discovering for myself artists that have been crazy famous in the past. Oh well. It fits this morning.

This post consists of lists and scattered thoughts. Because that is how I'm thinking right now.

My classes this last semester are as follows:
-Documentary Photojournalism
-Studio Photojournalism (I'm kind of auditing this class, but I'm so freakin excited about it)
-Graphic Design
-Media Ethics
-How things Work (Physics 100, baby. Pass/Fail.)
-Voice lessons

Thus far on the job search front: 
I've applied for a job with Apple in Stockholm, I'm applying for a year-long internship in southern Africa, The Institute at The Summit, a summer trip with Carolina Photojournalism in the Galapagos, and I'm looking into various missions organizations. And maybe I'll just end up freelancing! Ha!

Right now I'm really thankful for:
-A church in which I'm starting to get connected, and I'm growing.
-My wonderful Bible study.
-Chapel Hill. I really love this college town, and I'm going to miss it. So I'm soaking up every moment on campus I can.
-Saturday, Saturday.
-Coffee, coffee, coffee.
-Possibilities. 

I've started studying photographers' work. I really should have been doing this all along, but I never realized how much it helps me as a photojournalist. I have so many ideas and inspiration based on these photos I see. I'm starting to keep a little journal of photo ideas and locations. I think it'll be really helpful in studio. 

I'm reading a book called Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad. I'm loving it so far. I'm doing some real research on expatriate life, and I think I really am going to do it. At least for a couple of years. The only thing that kills me is that I'd miss seeing this chunk of my brothers' lives playing out. My little brother, Brett, really really doesn't want me to go. It breaks my heart and makes me tear up just thinking about it. When I lived in Italy, I would talk to him on the phone, and he'd speak as he usually does, in nervous little short sentences. After he got off the phone and I talked to my mom again, she said he walked away in tears. That, of course, made me cry. And when I talk to my mom about moving, Brett always ends up coming into the room asking, "Are you really going to Sweden for two years? Are you really going to Africa for a year?" The answer is always, "I don't know yet." But if I do end up going, I'm going to miss that kid so much. And I don't want to miss him growing up, you know? He's ten. Of course there's my other brother, Bryce, who is about to go to college. By the time I came back, he'd be a man, figuring out his own life after graduation. I would miss that kid like crazy, too. I love him to death and I think he is going to create such an amazing life for himself. He's so freaking talented. I don't want to miss seeing him learn and grow and discover who he's going to be. 

Ugh, I hate it when my romanticized ideas of life abroad are interrupted by the sucky realities of it. I know it won't be wonderful all the time. I know that. I remember how crappy it was when I realized I wasn't going to fit right into the culture of Italy, when I had to worry about whether I would make friends, when even grocery shopping was a difficult and exhausting endeavor, and when my cravings for something so simple as oatmeal or pop tarts or peanut butter made me cranky. I know it's going to suck sometimes, but it will be really freeing, going out into this world and making my life an adventure. Growing and trusting and seeing unbelievable things. Understanding people and being part of an international ministry. 

with love and tears, cause this is going to be really hard,
Megan

3 comments

  1. Emerly Sue on January 17, 2009 at 1:11 PM

    Carol Kinggggggg

     
  2. nancy ray on January 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM

    thanks so much megan! amber's wedding was so beautiful. :)

    i am so excited for your adventurous life ahead... i will totally live vicariously through you!

    like i have always said, we need to hang out more because i feel like WE ARE THE SAME PERSON.

    as i drink coffee and edit photos while looking out the window LOVING the snow. :)

    along with carol king, (who sings the intro to gilmore girls! YES!) you TOTALLY need to check out Sam Phillips... an old artist who wrote almost all the background music on Gilmore Girls. she's awesome!

    love to you in this snowy weather!

     
  3. Miss Footloose on March 27, 2009 at 10:04 AM

    Megan, I found this post by accident surfing the net about expat life. I have also read the True Tales book, and know why you like it. You want to go overseas and have an adventurous life. How about starting with the Peace Corps? I married my husband when he was in the PC in Kenya, a long time ago, and we've had a quite an expat life after that. I just started a blog about my expat (mis)adventures, on a light note. Maybe you'd enjoy reading those. It's listed below.

    I wish you luck and hope your dreams of living overseas come true. Living in other countries gives you a whole different view of the world!

    Cheers,

    Miss Footloose
    www.lifeintheexpatlane.blogspot.com