After celebrating a friend's certification as an R.N., I drove home around midnight, windows down. As I drove, I kept seeing beautiful scenes that I wanted to capture with my camera: backlit steam rising from wet pavement, an old shed lit by a single bulb in the middle of a dark field, a deer grazing along the side of the road. When I got home, I decided to try for some lightning photos. This is the best I came up with. It looks like silly string, but whatevs. It's a start.

On my way home from a portrait session this afternoon (my first family session, and not one with stellar results), I drove past the Duke campus. My mind instantly flashed back to my senior year of high school, when college applications and entrance essays were at the forefront of my mind. I only applied to two schools: State and Carolina. And I graduated with a double-major in photojournalism and psychology. I didn't graduate from college with an incredible GPA, but I worked like crazy throughout school. But driving past the Duke campus made me wonder, what if I had worked harder? What if I had applied to other schools? What if I had graduated with a 3.5 or a 4.0? I could have gotten into an incredible graduate program if I had focused more on my grades. I called my mom and she quickly talked some sense into me, "you are doing what you love, what you are made to do," she said.

I know that my education continues throughout the rest of my life. I know I can educate myself by reading and really living. And I know that God has beautiful things for me, and in those things, I can create the kind of life I want. I just wonder what my life would have been like if I'd done things differently.

I am quite certain that I will love my new job. I am so ready for October to be here so I can hit the ground running with it.

I may not make sense at all.

I just started a Beth Moore study. I'm real excited about the Old Testament.

With love and lightning,
Megan

2 comments

  1. Emerly Sue on July 2, 2009 at 1:02 PM

    It looks good to me. Good job scout.

     
  2. Kristi on July 2, 2009 at 10:33 PM

    I really cannot think of a double major I would love more than psychology and photojournalism. Seriously, great picks.