I hopped out of my car at Starbucks, eagerly anticipating coffee and the new Swell Season album. I wore my boots for the first time this fall, and as I click-clicked down the sidewalk, I admired the cloudy fall weather and contemplated my impending coffee purchase. As I walked toward the door, I saw a man with a long beard sitting at an outdoor table. Interrupting my coffee thoughts (pumpkin spice latte or peppermint mocha? Is it too early for a peppermint mocha? I don't want to get tired of them before December) came an abrupt question from the man at the table.

"You're a Christian, aren't you?"

I was startled. I thought he might have seen the Ichthus on the back of my car, but my car was around the corner.

"What?" I managed to blurt out.

"A born-again believer. A Christian."

"Oh... yes, why do you ask?"

"Something about you, your mannerisms, when you walked by, I could tell."

I was completely taken aback. I didn't know what to say. He went on to say that he went to church nearby, and he spoke about how God equips us all with different gifts, and that they need to be exercised. He told me not to be afraid to speak truth into the lives of other people.

Mainly, I just nodded my head. Normally, these kinds of situations would freak me out. But oddly enough, I was incredibly encouraged. He let me go on my way (and first prayed for me), but I was just so surprised by that encounter. I think he's part of a church whose character is much different than that of my church, but his words were full of scripture and humility. I was just really glad to have that conversation with a total stranger.

Currently watching: Once. Very halloween-appropriate, huh?
Obsessively listening to: The Swell Season's new album. Beauuuuty.
Currently wanting: to be more confident in sharing what I believe. I fear misrepresenting the Gospel/appearing ignorant. SO much. There is so much I don't know or understand.
Currently reading: Crazy Love by Francis Chan. It's pretty fantastic.

with love and an uneventful halloween (except for that I dressed up as a gangster rapper yesterday with dreds and all, that was pretty fun, except apparently I looked more like Avril Lavigne... fail...),
Megan

0 comments