Francie stood on tiptoe and stretched her arms wide. "Oh, I want to hold it all!" she cried. "I want to hold the way the night is-- cold without wind. And the way the stars are so near and shiny. I want to hold all of it tight until it hollers out, 'Let me go! Let me go!'"

"Don't stand so near the edge," said Neeley, uneasily. "You might fall off the roof." 

"I need someone," thought Francie desperately. "I need someone. I need to hold somebody close. And I need more than this holding. I need someone to understand how I feel at a time like now. And the understanding must be a part of the holding." -A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, p. 404

"The last time of anything has the poignancy of death itself. 'This that I see now,' she thought, 'to see no more this way. Oh, the last time how clearly you see everything; as though a magnifying light had been turned on it. And you grieve because you hadn't held it tighter when you had it every day.'" -A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, p. 476
"We sell our love like it was fresh lemonade, we yell as cars go by. Run up to strangers as we tug at their coats and plead with them to try." -Speechwriters, LLC

1 Comment

  1. Emerly Sue on June 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM

    mhm.